Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Bizarre, Scandals, Love And Relationship Tips, Health, Business And Many More...
Translate
Senegal has postponed the restart of schools after several teachers tested positive for the new coronavirus
Senegal has postponed the restart of schools until further notice after several teachers tested positive for the new coronavirus, the education ministry said.
The government announced on May 20 that schools would gradually resume on Tuesday June 2, after weeks of shutdown due to the pandemic.
Senegal has recorded 3 739 positive COVID-19 cases since the start of the outbreak, with 43 deaths.
An education ministry statement said teachers tested positive for coronavirus in Ziguinchor, in the Casamance area, south of the country.
It did not say how many teachers tested positive, nor in how many schools.
It said Senegal’s President Macky Sall decided to “postpone the restart of classes until a later date, in order to avoid any risk of the virus spreading in schools.”
The government began ferrying teachers in chartered busses from the capital Dakar to schools in the other regions last week in preparation for schools to reopen.
The ministry said in a separate statement that the bussing has been suspended until further notice.
Senegal was the latest country in the West and Central Africa region to plan restarting schools despite a continuing rise in coronavirus cases.
Cameroon, which has recorded 6 397 coronavirus cases and nearly 200 deaths, resumed classes with the government saying it had put in place health safety measures including regular hand-washing, temperature checks and compulsory wearing of masks.
Schools also resumed in the world’s top cocoa grower Ivory Coast last week, and in neighbouring Burkina Faso on Monday.
In Ghana, President Nana Akufo-Addo said in a speech on Sunday that schools and universities will reopen on June 15 to allow final-year junior high, senior high and university students to prepare for exams.
Ghana has recorded the highest number of coronavirus cases in the region at 8 070 and 36 deaths.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Popular Posts
-
Director of Elections for the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Ben Phiri has told voters in Neno that putting Malawi Congress Party...
-
Chelsea winger Willian has agreed a three-year contract with Arsenal worth £100,000 a week, according to ESPN. The Brazil international is ...
-
ladimir Putin has just made an order of Covo organic for Russia, and asks Africans not to follow WHO. Vladimir Putin says: "I ju...
-
Nigeria Anambra State Police Command has arrested a 34-year-old man, Ifeanyi Apusiobi, for allegedly killing his two children with a wooden ...
-
TIMO WERNER'S agent has reportedly told Manchester United and Chelsea to stop wasting their time as the deal to take the German to ...
-
The Mzimba Heritage Association has canceled this year’s Ngoni Umtheto gathering due to the surge in Covid-19 cases that the country is ...
-
Some Chiefs in Dedza have expressed concern over delays by the district council to pay them their honorarium for over ten months...
-
The Police in Mulanje have arrested a 25-year-old man for allegedly being found in possession of property without supporting documents. ...
-
Villarreal boss Unai Emery has reportedly called Matteo Guendouzi as he steps up his efforts to sign the Arsenal midfielder. Guendouzi was o...
-
Ex-wife had informed the police that she caught the village head red-handed while having sex with his daughter, saying that was the reason s...

No comments:
Post a Comment